Sunday, October 29, 2006

Man Wasn't Born to Run



Well, I figured that I should be the one to get this rolling. Literally. Look at this image. To me, it looks a lot like a medieval torture device. Anyone who knows me well enough is clear on the fact that I hate to exercise. And, for at least 35 years I was pretty good at avoiding it.

About 4 years ago, I had added a good 50 pounds to my frame. Just unfiltered consumption of anything in front of me coupled with a lack of anything resembling physical exertion.

After a trip to the doctor, he told me that my cholesterol was so high that I needed to drastically alter these patterns, or else I would be on drugs for the rest of my life or die. Figuring that my kids would appreciate Dad sticking around through high school (at least), I went on a 1500 calorie low fat diet and started walking on the treadmill 5-6 days per week.

Success! The weight came down and so did my cholesterol numbers! But the purpose of this story is to tell you what I've been up to lately and how it related to me trying something new.

When my cholesterol started creeping upward again, the doctor said it was time to intensify my workout. A colleague/friend suggested I try running, to which I snapped at her and said, "Man wasn't born to run!". Never having done anything athletic, I had shut myself off from activities that reminded me of competition. She was persistent, though, and suggested I try the elliptical machine (pictured). "Never!", I replied. It looked too much like cross-country skiing (another sport).

Well, to make a long story even longer, I kept looking at the elliptical out of the corner of my eye on the days I was walking on the treadmill. One day I even tried it out, but it seemed like it was broken. I couldn't figure the damn thing out and I would quickly return to the treadmill when someone would enter the room. After a week of "flirting" with the elliptical, I managed to summon the courage to ask another colleague in the room how it worked. Four button presses later, I was on my way.

Guess what? Yup, my friend was right, and now I like the elliptical even better than the old familiar treadmill. Plus, my workouts are twice as intense; just what the doctor ordered.

Now all I need is a soundtrack for my workouts!

No comments: